Saturday, April 10, 2010

Taxi Driver

Taxi Driver is one of my favorite films. This movie is fantastic in every way. The one main thing I want to talk about is the character of Travis Bickle. A lot of people have mixed feelings about this character. They don't know whether to love him or hate him. Well I will say I love the character. He is such a complex character that can be interpreted in many different ways by people.

My opinion may differ from a lot of peoples views of him. First of they don't go into detail about it but we know he served in the war. I think this is why Travis is the way he is . He probably saw and did some things in the war that made him think the world is a cesspool of shitty people. Also we see him taking some prescription medication in a certain scene. I think that confirms my interpretation of his background. Also he is a very nice guy besides the fact that he is a little bit off. He is very nice to most of the people he meets throughout the film.

I think Travis is just a crime fighting vigilante if you ask me. I think he is trying to kill the politician because he is a crooked politician. I may have interpreted a scene differently from other people. The scene where Travis picks up the politician in his cab, I think the politician is talking bout some dirty stuff and I think Travis picks up on that. That is why I think he tries to kill him because he's another scumbag in the world.

Also the Isis situation is another instance. He is trying to save this poor innocent girl from the scumbag world of society. He decides to take justice into his own hands because he knows nothing else will work. The cops won't do anything, and these scumbags will be free to walk the Earth. So Travis does what he thinks is the best thing possible and kills all the scumbags. This is why I love the character of Travis Bickle. He is so complex and amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment